Thursday, June 4, 2009

Good riddance!

... to the freakin' IUIs. That's right. My doc is graduating me. I went in, prepared to fight like hell that the cancelled cycle should be counted as my 9th try, but I didn't have to. He brought up IVF before I had a chance to open my mouth. Soooooo relieved. A little scared, too, to be moving on to the big guns. But so happy to be out of the IUI limbo that I had ceased to believe in. Nothing is final 'til the insurance signs off, but I have a feeling we're moving on to IVF. Because of my June travel, we're probably looking at a July start date, maybe August. He made a point to tell me that at my age we're looking at a 40% success rate, not 100%. He warned me not to believe that IVF was a magic bullet or a guarantee. I need to constantly remind myself of that. I feel so good, though, that both the IVF and adoption options are alive and kicking. (My sweetie actually said that moving to IVF made her feel like we were cheating on our adoptive baby-to-be.) My doc is pretty conservative (only wants to shoot to retrieve 6-10 eggs, only wants to transfer 1 or 2 embryos). I have to decide if I am ok with this, or if I want to jump ship, once the insurance approves it, and do it somewhere else, at a more aggressive clinic. But I don't have to decide that today. Today I get to celebrate the end of IUIs. Fuck 'em.

24 comments:

Fat Chick said...

Indeed. IUIs suck. I spit on them!

And congrats!!! Glad doctor man is up for the IVF, and I can't wait to hear details. If the transfer has you worried, I'd really push for 2 embryos. But that's just me.

Melissa said...

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Hell yeah! Good riddance to the IUIs and thank god your doc was ready too so you didn't have to fight!

You've got exciting things ahead!

N said...

GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE is right. Whoohoo!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lizzie, so glad you have a next step with some good solid HOPE behind it. I'll be cheering for you as you embark on IVF and continue the adoption journey. I know you'll have your family SOON and I can't wait to read all about it!

cindyhoo2 said...

Fantastic news!!! I know 40% is no guarentee but those odds are still pretty great. Yay! I am so excited for you to move to bigger and better things.

Sarah said...

So great to hear this news! Its so nice when something goes easier then expected!

Next in Line said...

Fuck IUI's. Bring on the big guns!

tireegal68 said...

down with IUIs! Up with IVF!
sounds like it's worth a very big shot!

Inlocoparentis said...

Welcome to the other side, my love! So glad to have you.

Anonymous said...

i have no faith in IUIs either. welcome to team IVF!

K said...

Oh, I am so glad to read this! No, it's not a silver bullet but it is a HUGE jump up in odds and you should absolutely be excited about that. Congratulations and bring on the BFP!

tbean said...

Yay! Yay yay yay! Good riddance IUIs. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out. Bring on IVF. Long live IVF. I hope we do end up IVFing together, I can think of no better friend for this journey. xo

Merr said...

Oh good!! I am so happy to hear it!! So if you were pregnant and a baby was available to adopt, would you? Or will it be 1st come 1st serve? Just curious!!

J said...

My partner and I are heading into our 3rd IVF with no success thus far. I have to tell you that it is REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to stop if you don't have success with the first try. You will probably have babies on ice that you will need to decide what to do with. Consider these things when looking at your financial situation. You might want to come up with a few plans so your not so overwhelmed (desperate and depressed too) if it comes up negative.

I would also suggest that if your dr is very conservative, to find another! From my experiences you want to grow as many HEALTHLY eggs as you can. Not all of them fertilize. If you freeze them, not all will make it through the unthaw. We put three in the first time, and had a positive. The next day, negative. The 2nd time we put 4 in...and nothing! This time we are going for 4 or 5! We would rather take a chance for multiples (or consider reduction) then not get pregnant at all.

Good Luck to you. Consider doing aucupuncture during IVF...studies show higher success rates!

Heather said...

Niiiice, I'm glad that your Dr has put the green light for the IVF. I don't know how i'd feel about being so conservative, we had a very aggressive clinic and got about 25 & 30 eggs both times, but with the massive amounts of eggs comes the dangers of OHSS... NOT FUN.

Carrie said...

goodbye IUIs!

Hello IVF! I heard the best success rate is about 40%, so you're looking good! Even for the most healthy 20 year old, the best success rate is like 40%-55%, so you're looking good. :)

As far as questions to ask.... sounds like you got the big ones.... does he recommend 3 or 5 day transfer, how many does he transfer, what meds does he use, what protocol does he recommend for you and why.

I really hope ivf works for us. i wish i could say i was optimistic about my odds, but it's hard to keep hope alive after 14 months of failure, you know? but then i realize many many women have gotten pregnant on ivf, who had spent years doing iuis. so it is possible! :)

go us!

Anonymous said...

That is great news!

ELLE said...

LOL. Yes, fuck 'em Lizzie. I am glad things have progressed. I will meet you for dinner soon and I will start my journey again. Lots of news. With a new partner even. Much to tell. -E

J said...

PS I forgot to mention to look into places that offer a deal....2 or 3 tries and if they dont' work you get all your money back. I wish we would have done that!

Anonymous said...

Fuck 'em, indeed! I can't wait to join you...
btw, I think a second opinion would be a sound decision.

tireegal68 said...

hi - I bet we were at the same crunchy clinic - we are all in Chi town, right?
I think there is only one. I loved them but it turns out I am infertile so I guess it was useless. If I had known then what I know now! Curious what BBBF you go to. Mine is FCI downtown.
Following your doubly exciting journey with bated ( baited?) breath!
:)

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

So glad you're able to move on to the next step! That's so awesome to hear. Best of luck!

Heidi said...

Yeah for the next, and hopefully last, step!!!