Friday, August 21, 2009

Hypothetical

So, if I were in a blogging mood (which I'm still not) and if I were ready to let people know that I was at the beginning of an IVF cycle .... I'd write and ask your advice re: spotting on the pill. I know that spotting is supposed to be normal .... I've been on the pill for 3 weeks. I had a little (brown, dried) spotting last week, no big deal. Today there's been more than a little. Still not more than a panty liner can handle, but some of it has been red, and I've got cramps. Feels like my body is trying to have a period. Lupron isn't even supposed to start 'til next week. I've got a call in to the doc. But hoping some of you can tell me that this is no big deal? Please don't let me be an IVF dropout in the very first stage - the freakin' BCP stage. F*ck. Part of my non-blogging is all about the various layers of disappointment and failure, and not wanting to share another round of BFN with the world .... yet, I find myself with a question and I turn to you. So, if I were hypothetically on BCP for a hypothetical IVF cycle, and I hypothetically was feeling my period come on, what would I hypothetically do? (Besides scream and tantrum. Got that covered.)

9 comments:

anofferingoflove said...

bcps totally screw with your body. i had spotting while on them before my ivf cycle, then barely a period at all when i stopped. i think its all okay because the point of doing bcps pre-ivf is to give your ovaries a rest, not so much to worry about what your lining is doing. hope you get some reassuring news from your doc soon.

sending hypothetical congrats and excitement and luck on the hypothetical ivf cycle.

N said...

Just about everybody I know who's done the BCPs - for IVF or for actual ha ha ha birth control - has spotted. I know it's so hard not to worry, but try not to. ♥

Anonymous said...

Hypothetically speaking, it is totally normal. I haven't had any spotting, but I drilled the nurse about it a couple weeks ago just in case. She finally took out her highlighter and marked my booklet where it said spotting is normal on BCPs and/or Lupron, but it will stop once stims are started. And then she pretended not to be totally over me and all my questioning.

p.s. I'm practicing sending you lots of love and luck in the event a non-hypothetical ivf cycle were to happen. Feel free to practice receiving it.

Pufferfish said...

Yep, it's normal. I've heard the trick is to take them at EXACTLY the same time every night. But even then, you can spot. I forgot a couple of night and voila--redness on panties! But I freaked out too until I talked to a couple of straight GF's who revealed the secret and why they hate the pill.
I love it that you are finally here and on the IVF boat.
Hypothetically, of course.

cindyhoo2 said...

I agree with everyone's answers... if you were hypothetically cycling. AND, if you hypothetically emailed me your address then I would actually send you a copy of a lovely IVF meditation CD.

cindyhoo2@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hypothetically speaking, I have no idea, but hypothetically, I would be sending out lots of hopeful energy your way.

mulberry said...

hang in there... bcp are evil in every way, but they will get you where you are going. anofferingoflove is right... it is all about quieting the ovaries :) sending you love! xxoo mulberry

Next in Line said...

If I new someone who had just started taking the pill for IVF, I would tell them not to worry. I am pretty sure I had the same thing. Hormones. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

Carrie said...

girl i spotted a SHIT TON on bcp. i think it's ok! :)
I am very happy to see you starting IVF. all i know is it's the ONLY thing that worked for me. i have high hopes for you, my friend. i really do. :)