Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Puppy crazy

My vet's office just put me on hold. And while I was waiting, I chickened out and hung up. I'm supposed to be making an appointment to have our puppy spayed. And somehow I can't do it. See, in my mind, I'd assumed she was going to have her tubes tied. (Don't laugh!) But I made a mistake and actually asked about the procedure. The nice vet explained in a chipper voice that they are going to remove her ovaries, her tubes, and her uterus. All of it. What?!!?!? That was too much for my little infertile heart to take. Really? That's what they're going to do to my sweet little girl? But we haven't even asked her if she wants to be a mom some day! Oh my god. I need to be talked down off a ledge.

7 comments:

Inlocoparentis said...

I miss you, Lizzie. :)

Schroedinger said...

Lol, OK: Here's me talking you off the ledge.

Speedy's a vet, and I should let her do the commenting here, but she's working hard (probably spaying some dog as I type.) The thing is, unless you want to breed her (and that's a whole other issue!) spaying is really the kindest thing you can do. It prevents mammary cancer (which is almost always deadly) and it stops her from going into periodic heat, which is uncomfortable for her and everyone around her.

So step away from the ledge... make the appointment. It is the nicest thing you can do.

Waving ::))

cindyhoo2 said...

This post made me laugh out loud in that "I so get it" way. You definitely have too much info. Hang in there. And how about some new pics of that little Ray of sunshine?!

tbean said...

I'm with Cindy. This post made utter and complete sense to me.

(PS: Full on disclosure warning--dropping her off for that appointment is going to be HARD. I recommend a manicure immediately after or something equally pampering cause you'll be a wreck!)

Anonymous said...

I second the first two comments!

xo

mulberry said...

hi there! i miss you too :)
we felt the same way when our roommate took our little kitties in to be spay/neutered. here we were spending thousands to try and get pregnant and at the same time we were ending all hope of pregnancy for our little gal cat. of course since we have a girl and a boy, the reality of kittens upon kittens was enough to make sure we actually did it :( but it was not lost on us, the irony.

tireegal68 said...

missing you too. Glad you are ensconced in the joys of puppydom.
The irony of spaying your dear girl is cruel but unfortunately with our devoted animals friends it's the right thing to do.
I hope it's not too traumatic for both of you:)
THinking of you:)