Friday, June 12, 2009

Tests

So, I had a round of tests earlier this week. Estradiol, FSH, TSH, Prolactin, and thyroid. The nurse said they were all "normal" (don't you hate it when the don't give you the numbers?). The only number she mentioned was the FSH, which was 7.7. She said that's normal, I think she said anything under 10.4 is ok. Just about exactly a year ago (yup, another year down, and no baby), my FSH was 7.0. So it went up 0.7 in a year. But nothing to worry about, right? Right? Hopefully. I'm going to have a saline ultrasound and mock transfer after the start of my next cycle. We're also going to decide whether to switch docs. But it'll all be July and August stuff. I'm about to go away for some work travel. So despite getting the go-ahead to do IVF, we're going to be moving a little slowly. The adoption stuff is slow, too. We're still taking classes and filling out forms. There are so many

15 comments:

mulberry said...

sucks that it has been another year already. enjoy your travels and i look forward to cheering you on through the ivf and the millions of adoption forms.

Anonymous said...

For some of us, it's a mothereffin marathon. I'm sorry that the road has been so long. I know you'll get there soon (I have great feelings about the upcoming IVF and the adoption journey), but I'm sorry.

Glad all your tests are normal, and that your slight FSH rise isn't concerning. Oddly, I've seen mine as high as 9.14 a year ago and as low as 6 last cycle, so I'm not sure it always goes in one direction.

Travel well, and know that I've got my pompoms poised to cheer my heart out for you!

N said...

*hugs* I'm glad they're normal (I hate that word - I make them give me the numbers *g*), but sorry that yet another year has passed.

cindyhoo2 said...

Lizzie,

"urry up and wait" seems to be the name of the game for so many of us. Here's to hope that the fall will bring loads of new (impending) arraivals for us all! YouR FSH does sound good though.

Anonymous said...

sounds like you've got everything moving in the right direction, even if the pace is slow at the moment. good news about the numbers (even if the news was vague!)
hope the work travel is enjoyable.

Melissa said...

I'm glad your tests came back "normal". I hate when they don't give you numbers, so frustrating!!

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

Best of luck in your slow-but-steady approach--sounds like a lot of exciting things will be happening for you in a couple of months! Hope traveling for work is fun and that you get some good YOU time during this summer's break.

Pufferfish said...

Oh, the waiting and waiting and waiting again. It's never easy. Glad to hear about the numbers--although I would still ask about them, after all that's how I found out about my thyroid and they thought it was 'normal' but your FSH does sound fine.

Have a great time traveling...back to Africa??
We'll miss you while you are gone.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it does sound like you're always filling out paperwork for them. I'm glad your numbers look so good but I'm sorry things aren't moving faster - it's frustrating. I've never heard of a mock transfer before - what's the purpose of one?

tbean said...

More waiting. Waiting to wait. And then keep waiting. I hear you. Story of our (ttc) life. Hope the waiting time passes quickly for you babe. And the FSH sounds just right. Mine has bounced up and down between 3 and, one rogue time, 12, so I don't think a less than 1 point difference is alarming at all.

tireegal68 said...

Don't you just love it when people tell us queers that we are "normal" - even if it's numbers on our charts!
I think that FSH sounds fine - and i hope that you have fun in between all the waiting.
Yes - that seems to be about all we do- except for paperwork and paying the bills!
FX for a fun summer and a productive fall!

Anonymous said...

I hope your travels go really well. I hate all the waiting on your behalf. I am really happy that all the tests came back normal.

Anonymous said...

Regarding normal, I am going to second Pufferfish's opinion and say ask for your TSH results. I've found that all doctors have different standards for normal thyroid function. Some go by the old 5.0 standard, some 2.5 and some are now saying even lower than that (1.5, I think). I hope you have safe and fun travels!

Carrie said...

we're in a very similar place right now. trying IVF, and looking more at adoption. i hope that one of these two paths will work out for us, and at the end of it all, we will both be mommies to cute little babies. :)

Anonymous said...

You're so sweet and thank you for popping in to say hello. I was thinking of posting when Poppy took the words from my mouth. I didn't realise (I've been so out of it) that you were also pursuing the adoption route while TTCing. We're in this together! Thanks for helping to make it all a little more bearable. xos