Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Adoption paperwork progress

We just sent in the next round of adoption paperwork. Each of us had to write a 6-8 page "autobiography" and fill out four pages of questions about our upbringing and the kind of upbringing we want for our kids, and then charts and tables and details about our families of origin. This is the next step. By submitting these, we unlock the door to Appointment #3 With Our Adoption Counselor. We'd been dragging our heels on this paperwork for a couple months, to be honest. In the meantime, we've taken a few required online classes and filled out some of the legal stuff, but this was an emotional hurdle for some reason. Try summing up "who are you, where did you come from, and what are your dreams for a family?" in 6-8 pages. Particularly hard for a perfectionist and a professional writer who are concurrently gearing up for IVF. But it feels good to have taken the next step! And it feels like insurance against Possible Total IVF Devastation (if such a thing is possible). Forward to our child!

In other news, no Lupron side effects yet, but tomorrow is my last day of BCPs. And my sister has been released from the hospital to very strict bed rest at home!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing the paperwork (or, this round of paperwork). It sounds like an incredibly difficult task. But, wow. One way or another, your child is coming - it just feels so close these days.

tbean said...

Lizzie--I still can't believe how you've managed to handle IVF and adoption proceedings at the same time. Most couples I would think were crazy for trying but you are doing it so well and I know you will be blessed and rewarded soon.

Jen said...

I too am impressed that you are balancing multiple proceedings of bringing a child into your family. Crazy impressive. I hope all goes well and I am sure your application was flawless!

N said...

Hurrah for getting that done. I'm sure that it was a HUGE hurdle. I know I would've had trouble with it. *hugs* And hurrah for few side effects!

tireegal68 said...

Great news on the two pronged approach. Like the others I impressed and heartened by your persistence and progress! Yeah for you and yay for your sister too!

Carrie said...

I love that you are firing off all cylinders. You are bringing a baby closer to you, whether it's through IVF or adoption. Each day that passes, your baby is one day closer to your arms right now. Keep up the great work, and I'm really excited for you.

Pufferfish said...

That application sounds like one helluva assignment. I am really impressed that you are juggling both of these very intense and emotional projects at the same time.
Great news all around.

Merr said...

Yay I am so glad you finished the paperwork!! one step closer now!!
Good news about your sister, now hopefully that baby stays put a bit longer!!

Heidi said...

I'm so proud of you! I can barely get off my arse to go to the first meeting. You are an inspiration!

Eva said...

seems like a good day. I'm thinking of you and cheering you on. xo