Tuesday, April 28, 2009

To trigger?

So I was back in this morning (Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Jeez!) and my follie is now 18mm, which is what they like to see. E2 was 288 yesterday, don't know about today. I await the afternoon call and instructions. But my guess is they'll tell me to trigger tonight, and insem on Thursday morning, 36 hours after trigger. Now, just because I like to torture myself by introducing additional variables, I'm trying to decide if I should follow their instructions or not. Last cycle (injectables), I thought I could feel ovulation pain 24 hours after the trigger, a whole 12 hours (and one night's sleep) before the insem. And I have heard/read that those of us on the wiser, more mature side of 35 (like that spin?) ovulate sooner after positive OPKs than our more sprightly sisters. Does that mean that we might ovulate sooner after trigger shots, too? I'm considering holding the trigger shot and doing it 24 hours before the scheduled insem. What do you think? Any opinions? Or maybe I should just do it like they say at 36 hours, and if it doesn't work this cycle, do it my way at 24 hours next cycle (I think we have to do a total of 3 injectables cycles before the insurance will consider the IVF request). See what I mean about torturing myself? Can this good girl really disobey the doc's orders? Or is this conversation purely for entertainment value? 

5 comments:

Jen said...

Lizzie dear, it is all a crap shoot. And, we ALL torture ourselves every cycle...

Last fall we triggered and IUI'ed at 24 hrs and 36hrs, but obviously neither worked, so who knows! When you get the call this afternoon, could you talk this through and see what they say? Good luck either way on Thursday, sounds like your follie is ready!

mulberry said...

i know that there are many who alter their docs orders and go with what they feel is right.

for me, i have been a stick to the dr's orders, but push my case with her when i am not sure they are right for me, kind of gal.

i just can't work with gaming the system on this, it is too hard to navigate and i need my doc to be on the same page with me. it could be that i am too 'good a girl' to 'go against the directions', but for me i feel like we are a team and i have asked her for her help and advice and so i will either fight her on it, or do it as she says.

don't know that that is helpful ;)

Pufferfish said...

Here's how I look at the trigger: If they schedule all IVF retrieval's at 36 hours post trigger (and that includes the ones at the 'more mature' side of 35), then they've sold me on the timing.
I was also sold on the timing as that's the month it worked for me.
However, you know you better than me....
Can you do two??

Anonymous said...

Your egg is viable for about 6 hours after ovulation. So if you think you are ovulating at around 24 hours post trigger, I would talk with your doc. Really, it's a wonder anyone ever gets pregnant! But they do. And I really hope you are one of them this month!

cindyhoo2 said...

Gah! This is such a hard question. J and I always struggle with the following directions vs following our guts debate. Truthfully, you will most likely regret either choice you make unless you get your RE to sign off on the insem 24hours after trigger. (Of course the regret will be short-lived if you get pregnant) Is your doc or the nurse good at returning calls? If so, I would run your theory by them.