Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Holding it in my hand

I am holding a "global referral" for fertility treatment in my hand. I almost don't believe it. I've become so distrustful and scared and anxious in this process, that I can scarcely trust it. I keep telling myself to breathe deep and believe it. I got a referral. I will get treatment. Some of it will be paid for .... So far, it's not sinking in. Because, of course, there is yet another hitch. Because the Nothing Is Ever Easy principle always applies. The doctor that I wanted (the latest in the line of doctors that I wanted) has left his practice. Yup, in the last two weeks, since I got the non-referral referral. And this new, honest-to-god, real referral has his name on it. And you have to go to the specific doc on the form. So I'll have to get them to re-do it with a new(est) choice. I've lost count of how many doctors I've tried to see at this point. But even my totally scared self thinks that this is just be an administrative hurdle. Right? They've already given me the referral, they just have to re-write it with a new name. I think after thousands and thousands of out-of-pocket dollars, I'm about to have insurance coverage. I'm scared and still a bit doubtful, but coming around to grateful and relieved.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

the amount of paperwork necessary to navigate the medical system is maddening. you are so close! hope this last little hurdle doesn't trip you up. yay for the global referral!!

mulberry said...

NO THEY DIDN'T! i can't believe they are making you get another referral for the SAME practice! and i can't believe the guy left the practice in the in the time it took to get the damn referral! course, i guess i can believe it all really... this shit is so totally insane!

giggleblue said...

congrats! i'm happy that you got the referral and switching the name should be a piece of cake, i hope! i think you are down hill from here!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have the referral, but can't believe the DR left the practice. What the ? Hopefully getting the name changed will be simple and easy and you can be on your way! (btw, why do they call it a "global referral" if it has to be so specific? Oh, I get it, an oxymoron!)

A said...

I'm so happy for you that you finally have the referral. That is great! I'll keep my fingers crossed they don't give you any problems giving you a new letter for a new doctor.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the referral, and good luck on the paperwork. It will work out in the end, but I'm sorry there's one more glitch in an already frustrating journey.

May this be the beginning of an easier road!

Melissa said...

YAY for the referral. It is truly aggravating the hoops that need to be jumped through. I keep thinking that all the stress and tears that this whole process has brought us will make us appreciate our babies a little more :)

j.k-c. said...

I'm excited for you! I'm sure that you will be able to get a new name on the form.

Anonymous said...

What a jungle! I'm glad you got the referral and I can't believe the doc left. This will be a funny story one day, right? :)