Monday, January 12, 2009

Maybe, sorta, kinda referred

I went to the New GP this morning. I really liked her. She was totally normal, smart, nice, young, thoughtful, on my side, etc. Will totally be comfortable having her manage my care. And she wrote me a referral for fertility ..... !!! 

But ... My scared, scarred self is not yet relaxing because there may be some hitches ahead. Since I just switched to this new insurance on January 1, the New GP told me I wasn't "in the system" yet and she could not put my referral in the computer. She had to do a hand-written referral. But she said she'd fax it to the New Fertility Clinic. I don't fully trust the system, am sure that there is some insurance person out there in managed care land, just waiting to red flag a lesbo and delay things once it gets into the computer and the folks at Bull Crap Bull Shit review it .... Also, after I'd been home about thirty minutes, the lady from New Fertility Clinic called me and said that if she didn't get my referral today, they'd have to reschedule my Wednesday appointment. They've been holding that appointment for me, but if all the paperwork isn't in, they'll have to give that time slot to someone else.  I told her I'd been with New GP just 30 minutes earlier and had seen New GP write out the referral. And New GP said she'd fax it. Lady at the New Clinic asked for New GP's name and number and said she'd call and ask for the referral fax pronto. Lady at the New Clinic told me that if I didn't hear back from her today, that meant everything was OK and they'd see me Wednesday. If she didn't get the referral fax from New GP, she'd call me back and we'd have reschedule the appointment at New Clinic. So far, no phone call. So far, so good. Then there is the rumor that New Clinic is going to stop taking my insurance in February anyway, so all this hoop-jumping is going to be wasted and I'll have to get re-referred to a Newer New Clinic anyway next month .... Who knows.

Two thoughts: First, I am choosing to believe that I have a good doctor (New GP) who wants me to have fertility treatment and that she will help me. If anything goes wrong, it is only administrative and it can be worked out. Right? I mean, I got the referral. I got the referral. I got the referral. Second, I am signed up for a relaxation methods class tonight. Hmmm, d'ya think I need it? 

5 comments:

Pufferfish said...

Whew! You got the referral!! That is huge and must be such a weight off your chest. I really hope you do not get a phone call and can keep your appointment. I know all too well how hard it can be to get those appointments.
Have a nice, relaxing time at your class tonight. Wish I were there!

Sarah said...

YAY! I checked your blog just hoping to see this sentence: "I got the referral" (and of course I saw it three times:)

You got it, she is going to help you, that is so wonderful. I know its hard to relax (esp with the other odds and ends) but I really think this is huge and I'm at my desk at work going "yay!"

Merr said...

YAY for the referral! It's all very stressful but just take one step at a time. Getting the referral is a huge step!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got the referral! We're doing battle with our HMO right now so I don't have a lot of faith in them at the moment. Good luck and I'm glad you're back!

mulberry said...

the relaxation class seems like a good thing my friend ;) so glad you got the referral - and a new doc you LIKE!