Friday, January 9, 2009

Global referral

Happy New Year, everyone! We've switched to the HMO that has fertility coverage. I've had the Pap, and the sexually transmitted disease tests that are required (all clear). Now, on Monday, I go to see my GP and I have to get a "global referral" from her, for the fertility doctor. Anyone have any information/insight/advice? I've never had an HMO before. We switched because it has fertility coverage. But I've been lucky in the past, had a PPO, gone to whatever doctor I wanted. I've never had to ask for a referral ..... I am (of course) losing sleep over this, rehearsing my fertility history in my head, practicing my speech and my arguments about why I deserve the referral. Ack. How do I ask? What do I say? Any reason to think she won't want to help me? Ack.

9 comments:

A said...

STRESSFUL! Lucky you have fertility coverage but insurance companies don't make it easy to get it sometimes. I don't have any coverage in this area. I'm so jealous of anyone who does. The cost is brutal! I hope it all goes well and very smooth!

nutella said...

Do you ahve a good relationship with your GP? If so than with a clear medical history there ought to be no problem for them to do the referal. Good luck!

Jen said...

I have no good solid advise/experience with this, but I think that if you are honest about your entire journey and the reasoning behind needing the referal, it should go fine.

mulberry said...

hi, and welcome back... i missed you! i say ask her what she needs to refer you. she should tell you and you can present it that way ;) you have 6 attempts, in doc office with meds. it should not be an issue to prove need.

Anonymous said...

Ack! Stress. Sorry that's plaguing you right now.

Will look forward to your GREAT news that all is well and you're covered and set for takeoff.

Pufferfish said...

Well you know what I say "honesty is NOT always the best policy" so do know what is needed so you have your story straight (haha) and it shouldn't be an issue.
Good luck!
They don't make it easy, do they???
Glad to see you back here:)

Anonymous said...

i've never had a problem getting a referral to a specialist. hope your GP is equally understanding.

having the new coverage sounds great! wishing you lots of luck

Sarah said...

I think you probably got it down..you know what the policy says and what you are going to say. Wishing you lots of luck for going global on Monday...

Anonymous said...

I have an HMO and although I haven't gone in for a fertility referral, I have had a lot of other referrals. In my expereince the doctors are so rushed that they pretty much give you want you want. My doctor has a computer in the exam room that she just enters the referrals on and then that's that. Good luck!