Sunday, October 19, 2008
Excruciating Scrutiny
My sweetie told me about (another) colleague of hers that is pregnant. She decided she wanted to lose some weight so she went to the gym and signed up for a personal trainer. The trainer made her fill out all these forms, including a disclaimer saying she wasn't pregnant. So sweetie's colleague was like, "Hmmm. I recently went off the pill but my husband and I haven't actually started trying yet. We just know we'd like to try soon." And the trainer was like, ok, then just take a home pregnancy test before you come in next time, you know, just to be sure. And my sweetie's colleague did. And, well, you already know the end of this story. She was, of course, pregnant. So no trainer and no weight loss for her. And no rest for me. It got me thinking perseverating on this topic again - the inhuman level of scrutiny that we subject ourselves to. Sweetie's colleague didn't even know and she was several weeks in. And I'm trying desperately to know several days early. I'm analyzing every twinge, every tick, every fluid, every movement. Hell, I've even had gas pains that I hoped desperately were signs of implantation. Or constipation that I was sure was an early sign of pregnancy. (Yes, in typing this it occurs to me that I might need another tutorial on the difference between my bowels and my ute! Or not. I mean, that's the point - too many tutorials already.) I know this level of scrutiny is not healthy, mentally or even physically. And I don't know any way around it. A prescription for madness. (That insurance doesn't even cover.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Oh, I know what you mean! This TWW feels like one of the longest yet. In some moments I catch myself wishing it would not end... afraid that I'll be in another slump after a BFN. I'm afraid I can feel AF coming on and am in denial about it.
In most moments, I can be found analyzing every twinge and sensation. Hoping, hoping, hoping.
i have oft lamented the impossibility of the accidental pregnancy in our lives... ah to be free of the wait, the worry and the wails of defeat.
we ARE going to get pregnant... we ARE!
What I wouldn't have given to not have to worry and fret over all that stuff.
*hugs* I hope you can find some peace these last few days.
(and constipation is a sign.)
UGH! People need to stop accidentally getting pregnant - it's too much. My coworker's daughter who is caring for her first accidental pregnancy baby just found out she was 4 MONTHS pregnant and she didn't eve know. She had to get a scan for a minor surgery and, oops, what do you know? There was a fetus in there.
Anyway, I hear you on the madness of this whole process. It's so hard to listen for something that might not be there.
I wonder if this insane level of scrutiny ever gets better?!?!
Thinking about you...
Oh yes it can be excruciating.
And let me assure you that the confusion between the ute and the bowels stays with you through the next 9 months. :) It actually becomes worse. Sometimes, wouldn't it be nice to see what was happening in there.
yeah. my mom told me a couple of months ago that my 42 year old cousin found out she was 6 months pregnant when she finally went to the doctor thinking she was going through menopause!! uh, nope. there was a baby in there. my mom said her attitude was *sort of* happy but mostly she was feeling like she was done with all of that (he has 3 older kids all over the age of 12). hearing stories like that really throws me for a loop.
i'm glad you are hanging in on this tww. sending you lots of cyber hugs and such.
I don't believe in getting pregnant accidentally. If you aren't actively trying not to get pregnant, then you are trying to get pregnant.
Mean peoples.
it's always the ones who aren't trying that get pregnant. im rooting really hard for you gals, i know you've had a struggle. it's time for some nice good news, right??? We will be so so happy once you get your BFP. I know it's coming, I know it.
Oh Lizzie. I've been there... trying so hard to decipher the difference between gas and symptoms. Seriously, can ANYONE tell the difference between the bowels and the ute?
Regardless, cheering for you. May every odd symptom turn into one of those folksy anecdotes about how you first knew you were... well, you know.
Ugh. I wish we could buy little protective covers that would keep all unintended pregnancy news away.
Sending lots of good wishes for a happy conclusion to this 2ww!
Post a Comment