Monday, July 14, 2008

Score: Lizzie 1, Original HSG Man 0

It was a long and brutal morning. Five hours of appointments, multiple inconclusive transvaginal ultrasounds, and then I ultimately needed a 2nd HSG to be definitive. The hospital was very contrite. I got very high-level docs, much sweet-talking, all those repeat procedures for nothing. I feel like a visa commercial. Transvaginal ultrasounds : $100's of dollars. Repeat HSG: at least a thousand bucks. Free parking validation (seriously, they paid for my parking) : $14. But hearing the doc say, "you were right" : priceless. 

This is how it went down: "I can say absolutely 100% that it is the LEFT tube that is blocked." Priceless. Especially since I got to follow it up with this, "Are you saying that the doctor who did the HSG in April was wrong, that he reversed the films, and that I was correct?" And he had to say "Yes. You were correct. And we are sorry." Priceless.

I do feel vindicated and proud that I fought this one out and didn't just accept their opinions when I knew deep down that they were wrong. But I also felt brutalized and so exhausted and like I'd had a probe up my hoo-hah for hours, followed by a balloon catheter as a chaser. It hurt so much (way more than the first one) that I broke out in one of those cold, full-body sweats and got lightheaded. But it's over. And I have at least one answer in this mystery that is (in)fertility.

12 comments:

K said...

Alright!! I'm so glad you were vindicated in the end, and more importantly, that you have some accurate information to inform your next steps. I'm glad to hear they treated you like royalty. The sooo owed you.

Melody said...

Absolutely cruel. Not only should they have paid for it all, they should have compensated you for the pain and indignity of a 2nd HSG. Glad you got it all straightened out, though.

mulberry said...

any chance they will remove the charge for the one they messed up on as well? hey any buck you can save :) so sorry that the second one hurt you - and that you had to have a second one in the first damn place. i thought i was gonna claw through the table mine hurt so bad. i have had two abdominal surgeries (gallblader and appendix) so they wanted to see if my pipes had any scaring, amazingly they are fine. i find that getting all your ducks in a row is so challenging in the crazy endeavor. glad you now have at least agreement on this bit of the puzzle.

tbean said...

Congrats on fighting the man and winning! What a relief and a victory--good for you for being so tenacious. But...how sucky that it came at the expense of so much unnecessary pokes and prods. As if this process didn't already include enough of those to begin with!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, you poor thing. Glad at least you got some substantial data/proof.

- Strawberry

j.k-c. said...

So glad you were right all along and I'm sorry that you had to go through all those tests just to prove it. Hope you get to take good care of yourself today.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for sticking to it hun and so terribly sorry you had to go through any of it.

ox

Merr said...

Good I'm glad they figured it out. Now you can move on , right?

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it feel great to be vindicated! Here's to finding an easy and SHORT path to follow from this point.

Pufferfish said...

See you are a winner with the HSG, too! Thanks goodness it's all over now. You should be able to click on my name and send me an email.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds brutal but good for you for pushing the issue. Being right is a grand thing.

Sarah said...

That is such a crazy story, but I am glad you got the correct results and that they apologized. They totally owed you. I'm glad you got the validation that you were right all along. Hope everything is okay with clomid, etc.