Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pre-Peeve

The prefix "pre-" means before. It does not mean previously. Right? As in pre-dinner drink, or pre-term labor (heaven forbid), or pre-screening. Yes? Well, there are suddenly a ton of businesses around my neighborhood that are using pre- to mean previously. It's like a contagion, everyone is doing it. I've seen "pre-worn clothing" for sale.  And just yesterday I saw two car dealerships advertising "pre-driven cars." Dude. Come on. You mean used cars. Pre-driven would actually mean before it was ever driven, like before it left the factory. Which is the opposite of what you are selling. Argh!!

4 comments:

Inlocoparentis said...

Hallelujah. This use of "pre" bothers me as well, almost as much as the phrase, "should have went."

Anonymous said...

This is just the sort of thing that would drive me crazy too-- then again, I am the woman who often considers telling business owners that they have a misplaced 's.

Adventures in Babymaking said...

My peeve is spelling things wrong because it's cute...Mor furniture, stuft burrito, phat. Please...as if our students don't have a hard enough time spelling things.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so get this. I am the person who actually does tell business when they've used punctuation incorrectly. What has happened to the English language, and who will help me protect it?