Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Worry Bullets

  • August (last month) marked one year since I started temping and charting and making fertility friends.  It hasn't been a year of trying, we didn't get started with insems 'til February 2008, but a year since I started charting still sucks. A year of any part of this process hurts. Put that on the list of anniversaries I didn't think we'd celebrate.
  • October (next month) marks the month when I will no longer be 36 and trying, but will become 37 and trying. There is absolutely nothing I can to do change this, but I still waste time worrying about it.
  • If we switch from the PPO to the HMO during the open enrollment period next month, in the hopes of getting some fertility coverage, or even IVF coverage when we should we need it, they will probably want to take my fibroid out before doing IVF. But since I have my fibroid now, will it count as a pre-existing condition? If we switch from one B.lue C.ross program to another (same provider, same employer), is it seamless, or do they slam you with pre-existing conditions? Should I have had fibroid surgery already? (My doc said the fibroid isn't impinging on the uterine cavity, so we didn't opt for surgery.) 
  • We charged a bunch of sperm on the credit card last week and can't pay it off, not this month, probably not for a couple months. We've reached the point where we can't afford what we're doing. And my doc wants to do two vials this month. I thought half the point of switching from the feminist clinic to the RE was that the doc could time it perfectly with a trigger shot and I'd be content with one vial. Me? Content with this process? Hah.

13 comments:

jessie said...

It won't count as a pre-existing condition since it's through the same employer.

Why does the new doc want to try 2 vials?

Just...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I'm going to eat apple pie.

Anonymous said...

I second jessie - they can't claim pre-existing conditions through the same employer.

I hear you on the unwanted anniversaries - it's so hard to be on this ride, not knowing when we can get off. And the expense is just salt in the wound.
xo

giggleblue said...

how do they know that you knew you had a pre-existing condition?? i say you ride it till proven otherwise.

i've heard of people using more than one vial at a time with an re. i think it depends on the clinic. some re's think they can get it done with one, some think two. i will say that i think two covers more basis, but i can see how that is expensive (personal experience).

your time is going to come, it is!

N said...

Ugh. Anniversaries suck. *hugs*

Heidi said...

Our next try will require two vials too. It sucks that the further we go the harder this becomes, physically, mentally, and checkbookly.

xxoo

Sarah said...

I don't know 100% but I am pretty sure the insurnace company can deny you for pre-existing when you are just switching plans.
I haven't heard of two vials with an RE, but it seems like others have. Did she give you the option to say "one vial only" if you wanted? I'm sorry this is a crappy anniversary time.

nutella said...

Boo for bad anniversaries. As for the insuranse thing, as long as you have been continusously covered they shold not be able to deny coverage.

Our RE stated at the very begining that there was no statistical evidence to support higher success rates with 2 IUIs per cycle. That being said, she did offer us that option. My thinking is that with monitoring and triggers 1 well timed IUI oughet to be enough.

Inlocoparentis said...

Request the "Summary Plan Document" prior to changing plans. That will define the scope of the coverage, pre-existing conditions, etc. The plan cannot deny coverage if the SPD does not give them authority to do so.

Inlocoparentis said...

PS: 37 is going to be your lucky number, I just know it!

Merr said...

Oh man we racked up several credit cards and are still paying off sperm that got us no where. It feels like a waste, but it's not because every time you put some in, there's a chance of getting pregnant.

ELLE said...

Oh this is crappy Liz. All I can say is fingers crossed that you will get pregnant soon.

Pre-existing condition is fine with insurance. It only becomes a problem if at any time greater than 60 days you were uninsured. This I know for a fact. -me

tbean said...

late to the party--but yeah--you know how I feel you on the $$ and the not knowing what to do/how to pay for this

anniversaries do suck. November is the month of reckoning in our house. 1 year since our first attempt, 2 years since we started research/planning/charting. Blech.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for this bad anniversary. I am pretty sure they can not claim pre-existing conditions if you are employeed by the same person, or continously employeed. The RE we just met with said that 2 vials are not proven to be any better then one... but I know what you mean about wanting that extra protection. I hope the worry bullets resolve themselves soon.