Also in the NYT.imes this morning, this article about single fathers by choice. And as always, when I think of the discrimination and financial challenges we face in building our families, I'm awed and humbled by how much harder it must be for gay men, single men ....
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Sunday pleasures
Every Sunday morning I read the weddings section of the NYT.imes. I know they've been including folks like us for years now, but I still get a tingle when I see the gay couples listed. Especially the ladies. I always call out to my partner, "Oooooh, honey! Lesbos in the wedding section!" And she comes over and reads with me. And we talk about them, and where they live and where they went to school, and if they are younger than us (increasingly yes) and what they do, and etc. And more and more often now, they have real weddings and not just "celebrations." California right along with Massachusetts. Truth be told, politically I'm much more along these lines, believing the state shouldn't regulate marriage at all. The state should only be giving out civil unions (to gay or straight) and should leave the marriages to religious institutions. But since I don't think that's really happening anytime soon, I'm just glad that the problematic institution of state-sanctioned marriage is available to more and more people .... and I wish I lived somewhere where it was available to me. (I know we could fly to California and do it, but we'd have no rights when we got back home, so we've decided that's not for us.) Anyway, I love me some lesbo weddings on a Sunday morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
hey hey - commented back to you on my blog :) i wasn't put off by your comment at ALL.
we love the wedding section of the nyt too! was just looking at it myself!
have a GREAT sunday :)
i am right there with you on the civil union vs marriage issue. i believe that two consenting adults should be allowed to enter into a contract that states they have joined as partners and that they wish to conduct their lives that way (dakota says i am ever practical and where is the romance in that?) i believe marriage and all its baggage and religion should conduct itself in church or synagogue or mosque or temple or wherever and leave me the hell alone. BUT (and it is a big but) until it is the case that the license is where the power/protection/responsibility lies (and not in the *marriage*) i will line up for marriage, we already learned what separate but (un)equal gets us.
and i will confess, i like seein' the queer wedding bits too ;)
and trying to have babies with only *sperm* to offer.... i can't even imagine how hard it would be to attempt this with no wombs! makes the search for/cost of sperm seem small.
I also agree about how much better it would be if there was a real distinction between a secular state civil union and a religious marriage.. but I differ in that I'm too cynical to believe that will ever happen (at least here in super conservative Australia) so want the whole shebang!
The lesbian weddings in the NYT sound awesome - I'm sure I'd really enjoy them too.
And good article about the dads - it really makes me think and be grateful for what we do have.
Clark
Just wanted to send a quick line of positive vibes for your doctor visit today. Thinking of you...
Post a Comment