Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Paperwork

I'm putting together copies of all my records and files and tests (ugh) for the appointment with the new doctor tomorrow. Do you think if all my paperwork is in order, I'll get a baby faster? Do you think I'm a Type A, former honors student who can't figure out why she hasn't been able to study and test and perform her way to motherhood?

I'm also putting together all of the bills, invoices, and receipts for medical stuff last year, for the purposes of itemizing my taxes. Jen and Tiff had a good post on this, which I found helpful (both their post and the comments). We spent waaaaaay over 7.5% of my income on medical stuff last year. So we will be able to claim it. But I'm still wondering exactly what can be claimed. Co-pays, out of pocket doctors, tests, procedures, drugs, OPKs and other over-the-counter medical stuff (I saved receipts for every damn thing). Yes. All of that would qualify for pre-tax flex spending accounts, so I think it should all count. Anyone find anything definitive on the sperm itself? My instinct is definitely. What about shipping of sperm? You can claim mileage and parking on trips to the doctor. So if you were picking up sperm locally, you could probably claim that mileage and parking. So, if I drove to California to get my sperm .... But I didn't drive, of course. They mailed it. So I should be able to claim shipping? We're over 7.5% with or without shipping, so maybe I shouldn't push it. But I did read somewhere that storage is allowed. Why would storage and not shipping be allowed? And what about acupuncture and alternative medicine approaches? 

I exhaust myself.

9 comments:

N said...

Man, that stuff confuses me so much. I'm way too disorganized; I'm sure I have receipts places, but have no idea where they are, so I said screw it. Bleh. :-/


Also, IVP drop-out or not, you are always welcome. :) I've missed hearing from you!

Jen said...

Here's my two cents (again), although I will let my account make the final call, b/c I don't want to be auditted. Everything, including medical milage, can be deducted as expenses. I am counting sperm b/c the 502 whatever form states that under reproductive/fertility medicine, the storage & process of sperm is deductable, and isn't part of the cost include in the storage & processing at the actual sperm bank?!?!?! Hence why it is so freakin' expensive! I saved everything as well and I think my final medical claim is near $8K and I am submitting ALL receipts to my tax accountant...

tbean said...

Good luck navigating the tax maze...you are inspiring me to try similar efforts. And yay for appointment with the new doc.

Sarah said...

Yes the form says acupunture and pregnancy tests are def covered. The over the counter stuff is more ambigious. I claimed the sperm and shipping...Not an accountant but to me it counts under the part about organ donation and fertility and medical supplies. Also, I counted the fees and mileage for informational and support groups under the counseling provisions and "medical conference" rules.
Good luck tomorrow!!!

Les Make Babies said...

I use TurboTax for my taxes. Last night I started the process and Accupuncture was listed as an example of a deductible expense.

As far as sperm goes, I'm definately claiming it. TurboTax had a section devoted to 'supplies' - is there a more legit supply to this process?!

Anonymous said...

Oh I hear you on the type A personality trying to negotiate this whole process. I think everything you are claiming sounds right - of course I don't work for the IRS, but it all sounds like it is covered. xo L

Anonymous said...

"Do you think I'm a Type A, former honors student who can't figure out why she hasn't been able to study and test and perform her way to motherhood?" --- that is me in a nutshell!! :D

there are lots of good internet sites about those tax deduction questions. i'm claiming everything i have a reciept for.

Pufferfish said...

Oh the tax thing totally exhausts me, but I think I might actually try to do it. I can't stand the thought of wasting money.
I've missed you! But lucky me...I got something very cute and special in the mail today. Thanks babe!

CD and SP said...

talk about embarrassing..we actually said the packing slips from our sperm shipments to our accountant last year. hey, whatever! it was all deductible!