I imagine there will come a time when this won't be possible. I can't imagine, for instance, being in the pool of adoptive parents, considering matches with birth moms, and also simultaneously doing IVF. Can't imagine it emotionally. (Not now anyway, though if TTC and progressive levels of intervention have taught me anything, it's that things do change, and what we thought was impossible can become just the next destination on the crazy train.) So we may have to slow or stop one or the other of the processes down the road. I actually think there is a point in the adoption process when the agency asks couples to stop fertility treatments so that they can be fully, emotionally prepared for adoption. (In my humble opinion, though, it's a pretty heterosexual model, because they certainly don't ask straight people to stop having sex. They just want people to give up the dream of a child that is a perfect combination of mom and dad, put aside last-ditch medical intervention, and fully embrace the child who is coming to them in a non-traditional way. My sweetie and I have already done a lot of that work. We already know that our child isn't going to be a perfect version of the two of us. We don't feel that adoption is second best (once upon a time, it was my first choice, but that's another story). We already know that we're going to be a conspicuous family, etc. And if they don't ask straight people to stop having sex, can they really ask lesbians to stop insemming? Now that I think about it, the agency hasn't even asked us if infertility is part of our journey, but I know that they ask the straight couples that. But I digress.)
The point is, when either our TTC or adoption process becomes more intense, I doubt we'll move forward simultaneously. But for right now we're still doing IUIs (which I sincerely doubt will work), jumping through hoops to qualify for IVF. And we're only in the paperwork/home study stage for adoption, so we haven't even been approved yet. So both TTC and adoption still seem like very loooooong timelines. And given the choice, I prefer to serve my sentences concurrently, rather than consecutively. Hah.

8 comments:
in so many ways i envy you with two paths to babies and concurrent exploration... i was just thinking about that yesterday, funny you should write this now. i see us as even more unlikely to get approved for adoption than to get pregnant... and we all know the long shot that is. what with now being unemployed, the fact that we have no extra bedroom for the kid, we have a roommate and the whole we are two woman thing - not to mention the expense of it all, it has scared me away from doing any work yet on the adoption option.
however, it feels like YOU have cleared all the impediments, and flung open all the doors for your kids to find you... and that makes me very happy.
I completely agree, otherwise the wait could become a life sentence! Assuming that nothing works with fertility treatments, you may have used 2+ years going down that road then getting on adoption lists (along with all the hurdle jumping) could take another 3 years or so. 5 years is a long time to delay your heart's desire, especially if neither option feels like second best. I must admit that any baby (legally mine) would fill my heart with such joy, and on a bad day I might take a baby illegally mine (LOL).
I'm very impressed with how calmly you've been able to pursue both at the same time (so far)! It's, in some ways, similar to when both partners are ttc at the same time. YOu are so ready for a child, you are so out of control as to when it will happen, you just open yourself up to all options. I hope your wait(s) end soon. hugs
Well I think it is a great idea that you are two timing. You might as well take both paths. One is definitely gonna lead to a baby or two!
im impressed by your multi-tasking capabilities! i have no doubt your baby will find you down one of these roads soon!
What smartie pants! :) I know (as well as many of us) the feeling about the ticking clock.. not getting any younger.. blech. Options are awesome...
Your journey is often on my mind- and I wish you the best of luck.
casey
If you can pursue both that is really great. Both are amazing ways to start a family. Both also involve endless amounts of waiting so two-timing is perfect. I am sure that there will be a point when one goes on hold, but you can cross that bridge later. I waiting for the day when it all happens which ever one that is!
I completely understand the two-timing. I think we would be doing the same thing if it wasn't for the $ IVF and private adoption require.
p.s. I'm sorry you had a crappy, crabby day yesterday.
Post a Comment