Thursday, March 6, 2008

Advice on timing?

I'm at CD12. My sperm arrives in town tomorrow. Sometime over the weekend or Monday I'll be ready for try #2. I have a question about timing.

Most often, I get a positive OPK on CD15, a slight temp dip on CD16, and a significant rise on CD17. (It's not exactly the same every month, and a couple times it's been totally confusing/off. But this is the standard pattern.) So it seems pretty clear to me that I usually ovulate the day after the +OPK.

The feminist health clinic that we're using does two inseminations per month. They advise the first one on the day (afternoon/evening) of the +OPK, and one the next day. But they're very open to my input, and if I want to change the timing, I'm sure it would be fine with them. You see, I just feel like the first insemination (on the day of the +OPK) is probably wasted with me. It just doesn't seem like my egg is dropping anytime that day. And those defrosted little buggers can only live 8 hours in the uterus, right? So, I'm thinking that what might make more sense for my body is two inseminations on the day after the +OPK. One as early as possible in the morning, and one as late as possible in the evening.

BUT my favoite book is the one from the M.aia people (sorry to Toni W.eschler, I do really love her, too). And it says that the most common mistake people make is insemminating too late. Hmmm.

Thoughts???? Advice?

6 comments:

jessie said...

Well I LOVE that book and she talks about trusting your intuition and knowing your body. No one knows it better than you. I say follow your gut on this one.

N said...

Well, that's the book we've been using, too, but as you could see from my post on the board, I'm just as unsure about timing.

I think going with your gut is most important. And if they're really adamant about doing it that night, maybe schedule as late an appointment as possible?

Anonymous said...

I am not a good source of advice because we're doing IVIs. But from reading around, it seems that indeed the insem on the +OPK may be wasted. And although Brill says we're often too late, it may just be a bay area thing. I know Lynn from Family Style Love got pregnant the month they moved their insem to 36 hours after the +OPK. If you feel like you're doing it too early, you probably are. Your window is not textbook. Listen to your body and discuss it with your nice feminists.

I really want to live in a place like yours. We have no one in my entire state doing Maya massage and there is definitely no feminist practice. :( I guess chatting with lovelies like you will have to make up for it!

Anonymous said...

With frozen, I'd go for 2 insems within a 12 hours time span. Go with your intuition as to when those 12 hours are - just don't make it TOO long after OPK+

Inlocoparentis said...

We did inseminations in the doctor's office with frozen samples too. I ultimately learned that the timing is a total crapshoot. I have ovulation pains, so we were constantly trying to "beat the pain", but not by too much. The month we got pregnant, we got a positive first response Friday night and a positive "smiley" Saturday morning. We did an insemination at 9:30 Saturday morning and another insemination at 11:00 on Sunday morning, which was based on our doctor's schedule and not "ideal timing." I have no idea which one worked, but my ovulation pains were Saturday night. I will say that our doctor tends to think that the frozen swimmers live between 18 - 24 hours, not the 8 hours in the Brill book. He cited some kind of clinical study on this. Made me feel better. :)

j.k-c. said...

I've also heard that frozen swimmers can live way longer than 8hours from my doc...he also quotes clincial studies all the time.

I agree with all the pp....trust your instincts.