I have to apply for a new Social S.ecurity Card. We recently moved and I'm in a new state and I need a new driver's license and in order to get that I have to produce a Social S.ecurity Card. Mine was stolen in Eastern Europe in 1992 (along with my wallet, plane ticket, and Euro.Rail Pass in a dramatic, tear-inducing, made for TV special, first-time alone overseas rite of passage).
Somehow I'd managed to skate by without replacing the damn thing until now. So I'm filling out the form this morning and writing in my mother's name (her name at birth, mind you, because the assumption is that she had the good sense to get married and take her husband's name), and my father's name, and etc. Just one more reminder of the ways in which my family will be different. And what a hell of a time our kids will have with standard forms. Sigh. I wish it was easier.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I always get annoyed when I look at my own birth certificate and it has a father section and a mother section. In the father section it asks for occupation and in the mother section it instead asks for her maiden name. Nice, not only is she suppossed to have taken my father's name, she wasn't suppossed to work. Funny since she was the one with career outside the house. I guess my point is that I hope that by the time our kids are old enough to read forms they will laugh and be annoyed at the old assumptions our sociaty made about people.
I hear you! We had to get new cards when we changed our name this last year. It was a huge pita. I never thought about the mum/dad thing though. So true. Hopefully Clinbama will change the language of parentage (is that a word?) as a first order of business.
Post a Comment