Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Called off the egg hunt

Just checking in. I never got a surge and I never got a temp rise. I talked to my clinic at the end of last week and they said that it sound like an anovulatory cycle to them, too. They also said this can happen in one out of seven cycles (!) which is even more than the once a year that I'd read about. They gave me permission to stop OPKing if it was just stressing me out. Which it was. So I did. Now just waiting for my period. My cycles are usually 25-27 days without progesterone. And I'm on CD24 today. And my boobs hurt and I've got zits. So hopefully my period is around the corner.

I'm still really frustrated that this happened this month, when we'd just started, just gotten underway. But maybe it was a good time to stop and reflect. I went away this weekend, just overnight, and without any OPKs and without even my thermometer, I felt like a different person. I need to hold on to that sense of freedom, relaxation, the right to think about things other than my freakin' cycle. I am concerned about how quickly I can get anxious and worked up. It's the nature of the game, but it's completely counterproductive. So what to do??? How to relax and be calmer about this? (Advice welcome!)

My commitment to relaxing is going to be tested - sooner than I'd like. Next month I have to travel on the 4th and 5th for work. That is probably going to be right at ovulation time, if I get my period in the next two days. And I can't change the work trip, it's a once a year event. There's no way. So I've already found myself running scenarios - insemming before going to the airport on the 4th, racing back for a second insem as soon as my flight lands on the 5th? It's crazy, trying to predict based on incomplete information. I don't know when CD1 is (yet) and I can't be sure what day I'll get a surge (this month certainly taught me that!). So I've got to stop the mental gymnastics, working out every contingency this far in advance .... I feel Mrs. Bluemont's pain, trying to schedule for a donor who isn't confirmed. And Kim's fears, trying to schedule around a due date that might or might not be right if she insemmed this month .... it's all too much.

Anyway. Thanks, Jessie, for asking how I was doing. I was sitting on my no news for too long & should have let you all know ....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, I'm sorry. It just sucks.

I expected to ovulate when I was on a work trip last month, but it seems that the travelling may have been what delayed my ovulation by 11 days. We still insemed right when I got back and then had to do another round with the real peak. Hopefully your +OPK will fall outside of the trip and you'll be ready with sperm and time for it.

Good for you for taking it easy with the temping and sticks. It can be so maddening.

Advice to relax? Sex and whiskey.

j.k-c. said...

Hope you are taking good care of yourself! We really aren't in control, even though we have a false sense of control.
I think breaks are very, very welcome and really the best therapy for me during this process.

Anonymous said...

It's so hard. The harmonious relationship we usually have with our bodies are all thrown out of whack when it comes to tracking fertilization and figuring out insemination dates... and so on and so on.

It's frustrating and any advice I can give you is that which I won't adhere to myself. So, just know you're not alone and try to take some comfort in that.

NotesFrom2Moms said...

that sucks about your cycle... i drove myself crazy counting ahead and guessing insem days and discovery days... i was almost never right. I found opks, temping, and testing to drive me insane - coming from the mouth of a pretty typical type A. My doctor eventually told me to stay awy from fertility friend. so again, sorry about the anovulatory cycle.. at least you didn't waste sperm.

N said...

Ugh. How hard, I'm sorry. *HUGS*

I do agree with the person up there -- at least you didn't waste the sperm. *squishes* Small consolation, I know.

Merr said...

There you are! I was wondering if everything was alright. Your period will be here soon and you will be right back in the game. I can't worry and stress about dates and times any more. I just have to try. Like I never wanted a baby close to Christmas, but that won't stop us froom trying. I also don't think it is possible to relax during TTC at all!

Inlocoparentis said...

Discontinuing temping really helped me relax. For some people it's great, but it just made me obsessive. I think the same can be said if you use a fertility monitor. Using OPKs only was enough to help us identify ovulation but did not consume me. I really don't think there's anything that can be done about the TWW though.