Sunday, March 2, 2008

Puppy love

Today I decided that I desperately need a dog. My sweetie is trying to hold me off, based in large part on the reasonable notion that she is much less likely to be allergic to our child than she will (almost certainly) be to a dog. But I just need to mother something, and soon, I protested. I could have a dog right now, like tomorrow. And a baby seems so hard, scary, far off, and not even a sure thing.

She talked me off the cliff. We will have a family. We will have a family. We will have a family. Right now we're in the scary place of not knowing when or how it will happen. But that's all it is - the "before I know how and when" place. I won't be in this place forever. Deep breaths in and out. And off to L Word and a glass of wine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read your awesome play-by-play account of "the process", it seemed, as you put it, a very peaceful and beautiful experience. You also wrote that the nurse showed you your ferning pattern, which is NORMAL, so I'm confused when you say the word ... "if", and not "when." Well, I really don't know too much about your "medical business", but it seems to me that it's more of a "when" situation, and I KNOW that it can turn into an impatient process ... UGH!

I know to well about impatience, but, of course, people will get what they want if they keep on a trudgin'. I hope you get that baby sooner, rather than later ... I wish you all the peace and happiness in the world to you, and your DP, too.

Peace,

Anonymous said...

I can't speak to allergies... I don't have them really. E does have mild ones to our cats, but she copes... I can say, though, that I love every second of my dog and kitties! (ok, except that puppy training was hard, and cats mewing in the middle of the night is annoying... oh, and the doggie pukes after eating something she shouldn't.... all worth it!)

Good luck!

j.k-c. said...

I understand the need to have a baby something! That's how we ended up with our second cat.

Anonymous said...

Honey, we have three cats for that very reason. You don't have to get the puppy yet, but don't banish the maternal feelings. That desire is more powerful than a republican pastor on a Sunday. oxox

What did you think of The Business of Being Born?! Sold on a home birth yet?

N said...

*laughs*

You're stronger than us. We wanted a puppy SO BADLY, and then my co-worker was GIVING THEM AWAY FOR FREE.


Needless to say, we now have a puppy.