1. Blocked tube - reduces chances 50% off the bat - various options. More about this below.
2. Fibroid - this comes from the CD3 ultrasound so I'm glad I did that - apparently I have a moderately large (5cm) fibroid in my anterior uterine wall - totally asymptomatic for what it's worth, and NOT impinging on the uterine cavity, and fibroids are very common but she doesn't like it. And it's not small. If we were to do surgery to get another look at the tubes, she'd have them take it out while they were in there.
3. MTHFR gene - my sister has it, I should get tested, it has a range of implications for pregnancy (if/when we get there) but is manageable.
There are several options. We are leaning toward the least invasive. Are we crazy? The first two options she presented - 1) laparoscopic surgery to look at the tubes, determine if the one that is open is in good shape, repair (??? didn't know you could even try) the blocked one if is possible, or more likely, since it is mild, drain it (but they can re-fill with fluid even if drained) or chop it off so the fluid has no chance of draining back into the uterus and interfering with a pregnancy. 2) bypass the tubes altogether, skip the surgery ("some people just don't want to have surgery" she said and I'm thinking, "um, yeah, if it's not 100% necessary") and go to IVF and hope that the blocked tube doesn't drain back into the uterus or otherwise negatively impact the IVF.
Neither of these options are so appealing to us. Surgery can leave additional scar tissue, it doesn't sound like the fibroid is enough to go in after by itself (although strangely the fibroid might force the insurance to cover the surgery where the tube/fertility issue is not covered -despite the fact that it's the same surgery). I know that people do this surgery for fertility stuff all the time - I have a relative who had it done. It's not that dramatic, but we are conservative, it IS a general anesthesia, surgery can do/create damage. I don't know. Sweetie (who came with me to this appointment) is really, really not into this option. As for IVF, we don't qualify for insurance yet, although we might in the future if we switch insurance and have more failed IUIs under our belt. Or if both tubes were blocked (which doesn't seem to be). Can't afford it.
So, toward the end, we asked about monitored IUIs. Only doing insems when there were follicles on the open tube side. Yes, that would be ok, she would not be averse to doing that, at least for a few cycles (she has a lot of skepticism for our 2 unmonitored cycles at the feminist clinic, very little tolerance for the lack of a trigger shot and for the fact that there is no evidence the follicles were on the 'good' side when we shot the sperm, she doesn't even see them as "real tries").
So, we are leaning toward some monitored IUIs ..... BUT (are you still with me?) they still don't know 100% which freakin' side the blocked tube is on. I can't believe I'm even typing this. After an HSN (possible blocked tube on the left) and then an HSG (I swear the doc said out loud to me that left was blocked, but later his report reads that the block is on the right), it is f*cking unclear. The films could have been reversed (!!!) in either case, she said. Neither the HSN or HSG films are labeled left/right, so she can only go by the pictures in front of her, but "these films get reversed all the time, the tech could flip a switch and print them backward." She - this RE - says that with her ultrasound machine she always prints a marker directly on the films themselves on the right side so it's always clear which is which, but neither the HSN or HSG films are marked and the notes from the two docs mention two different sides. Cue: bewilderment for me, rage/anger for my sweetie. We have paid for TWO major tests and they don't know. She did a quick wand/dildocam/ultrasound in her office and couldn't see evidence of a blocked tube on EITHER side. So where is it? I have to call the radiologist who did the HSG and complain. I may have to do another test (a guy in the suburbs with some huge 3D ultrasound - but what proof do we have that he will see it / find it???) It feels like total absurdistan to me. We're flying just as blind as we were at the feminist clinic and we've spent so much money on tests. WTF?
In other notes - we both still like this doc. She took an hour with us, is very down to earth. Couldn't give two hoots about the gay stuff, etc. There was one moment, however, that seemed ok at the time, but is pissing me off the more I think about it. She was so ok with the lesbo stuff that she actually seemed to think of it as an advantage - two uteruses instead of one. Which I get. At one point, after running through the three issues I've got - she looked at my sweetie and said, "what about you trying?" In the moment it was semi-ok, good-spirited. But in retrospect I'm hating it. First, it makes me feel like shit / like a failure or lost cause. Second, it shows a total lack of understanding about where we might be in our relationship or the decision-making that goes into this. I know a lot of couples (most?) do consider both uteruses (uteri?) but that's not an option for us as a couple. Sweetie isn't going to carry. That's just not the way we roll. And I guess, as a straight person, it didn't occur to her that we might be that way? Or that it might be complicated and that we're not interchangeable?
Advice? Thoughts? What would J.esus do?

13 comments:
I'm finding myself more and more glad that my own doctor did my HSG. *hugs* I'm so sorry for all this bullshit.
YES be glad your own doc did your HSG. I feel like such an ass for the ad hoc way we've gone down this path. If we'd had one doc from the outset, I'm guessing some of the expense and stress (though not diagnosis) could have been spared. But this is where I am.
UGH! First off, sounds like your doc is looking for the easy way out here by wanting your partner to try. As if you hadn't talked about your options as a couple and decided how you were going to proceed. Does she think you're stupid? Grrrr. And I would have felt like a failure too! I am SO sorry. You are not a failure. Sometimes all of this TTC stuff makes it feel like we can't do anything right. Like, how do people EVER get pregnant?
You know, our RE said the same thing about having two uteri... at first, we were a little pissy too, however - upon getting to know him better, his comment was based purely on the fact that he wanted us to be pregnant and DP def. had the better girlie parts to accomplish this. He meant no disrespect to our relationship - he was only looking at it from a statistical perspective of the quickest way for us to have a baby.
How annoying about the tests... I am sorry you are in this limbo land of trying to figure out exactly what is going on. If I were in your shoes (and I have been there!!) I would opt for the lap (which insurance might cover b/c of the fibroid)... gives you more info. and can correct some of the problems. I had one done and it wasn't too bad either & afterwards, you have a pretty good 3 month 'fertile period'.
Ugh. I'm sorry to hear this news about your appointment. The stuff with the tests is freakin ridiculous. And I can't believe the doctor said that to your partner. That is unnecessary and awful. I'm sorry.
I have to say-- I'm with Carey. I'd get the lap if insurance will pay for it. My doc suggested a lap, and I avoided b/c I didn't want unnecessary surgery when I'd had a clear HSG. But then when another RE saw something funny on my u/s the other day that he thought might be a septum (even though I still don't think it was) I was really regreting not taking the opportunity to have a better look in there when we had a chance.
According to my doc, it is supposedly less painful than an HSG.
We were in the same situation with the doctor suggesting Vanessa try, and considering it caused a MAJOR meltdown in our house. She did IVF to retrieve her eggs, and that was traumatic enough for her. No way is she ready to carry a baby.
I'm so sorry. All of that really sucks. I'd love to talk further about this issue of people thinking your partner should be a "plan b" when you have already decided you will carry - I've been in the same boat and I have a lot of thoughts on that.
Wow...that is a lot of info to process. I don't really have advice, just cheerleading from the sidelines. And if you like the doc, then I would try and overlook the ignorant "you have two uteri" comment. No doc is perfect and she probably just has no idea how complex these decisions are.
I'm so sorry about the whole tube mess. It is totally not fair to you. You would think that doctors/technicians would know how important these tests are and would be so very meticulous in their findings.
I also understand how you feel about the dr asking your other half about carrying, why do they just assume that everyone wants the same thing?
I don't know about Je.sus, but I think I'd be tempted to opt for the lap, especially if you can get it covered on insurance. It is invasive, but so is IVF if you end up there and you'd still have the drainage issue - I think the lap gives you a better chance of not going there.
The mix up over which side is possibly blocked is disgraceful - is there any way you could demand a free retest? Then maybe you could avoid the lap being more secure in the knowledge you'd be shooting up for the correct side in any future monitored IUIs.
The 2 uterus comment is one we too have heard. I think it's an easy straw for people to grasp at, without them bothering to think about the intricacies of our relationships. Don't take it to heart - it was dumb, but almost certainly without malice.
WWJD? Well, seeing that he was a dude...he just donated sperm! Doesn't have to worry about any of this shit! Grr.
I'm sorry you are having to go through this. My RE does his own HSG b/c he doesn't trust the technicians. He actually said that.
Everyone assume that my parter is my back-up uterus and in our case, she is. But it still can be irritating that people just 'assume', I know.
Greetings,
This is one of your paragraphs:
We have paid for TWO major tests and they don't know. She did a quick wand/dildocam/ultrasound in her office and couldn't see evidence of a blocked tube on EITHER side. So where is it? I have to call the radiologist who did the HSG and complain. (You're probaby aware of this, but when you look at "an x-ray", the right side of it is actually the left, and the left side is the right side.
Our own common sense, and the start of knowing our own bodies through all the readings, information, books, discussions with fellow TTCers, and mostly just by TTCing alone seems to have been more enlightening than these expensive "consultations" with the "good" doctors. You are so right in everything that I read (I do tend to skim read, though, alot) but you are right on the mark in your replies.
I would love to e-mail you because I want to tell you a few things I found out in my journey because there's so much more, or less (out there) to understand. It's very simple, but I am not a doctor. I just have to tell you that. I don't know, maybe I'm overstepping my bounds? I want so much to explain here, but I'm a very private person, and I would like my information to stay that way.
At any rate (and sorry this is so long) I think you are just fine, and you WILL be holding a baby by next mother's day.
Peaceful Thoughts To You,
Brooke
my left tube is the one that is blocked as well. we decided not to do the laparoscopy at this point bc i'm really not into general anesthesia. that is actually one of our cut off/move on to adoption point - when the process becomes super invasive and makes me really anxious - which surgery would. oddly enough, my RE never once mentioned the lap surgery when they found out my tube was blocked. she was just all laid back and said, "well, there's another tube, we'll just IUI when the eggs are on that side..." which is why i posted to the IVP bc that just seemed very non-RE-like to me and i wondered if we were missing something.
question - do you have pain on the side of your blocked tube? bc i have shooting pain there a lot of the time - not unbearable but def noticeable and no one seems to know why.
thinking of you...
Post a Comment