Monday, June 16, 2008

Up in the middle of the night

Was hot and couldn't sleep. Then, lying there, I started thinking. Always dangerous. Must be that I'm nervous about my RE appointment tomorrow/today. Started worrying about how this is ever going to work, how I'm going to get insurance to cover anything, how we're going to afford this .... whether and when I should be job searching instead of continuing to consult .... on and on into this cycle of financial worry and life choices. Then I realized that somewhere along the line, I think I stopped believing that this would (will) work. That's when I knew sleep wasn't going to return. Maybe it's because we've been out for 3 of the last 5 cycles and so I haven't had - for what seems like a long time - that sense of possibility that comes in the moment after the insemination when you think, "This could be it." There's been no "this" that could be "it" for us. Or maybe it's the blocked tube - turning up problems when we were barely out of the gate. Or maybe it is my age, creeping up and up, relentlessly. I was actually shocked last week when my bloodwork came back "normal." I think I've come to expect disaster and disappointment. Seriously? After only two tries? What happened? I don't think of myself as a pessimistic person. I do try to keep hopes in check because I hate the burn of foolishness that comes with disappointment, but I've always been someone who believed in the possible, the positive. So what's happened? I know my sweetie senses that my perception/emotion is out of whack with our reality - disproportionate somehow. She'll look at me quizzically when I sound doubtful that I'll ever be pregnant, and she says, "But we've only tried twice. We've only tried twice." So rational that one. She isn't gripped by fear. She doesn't read the books, the blogs, doesn't know all the pitfalls that are out there, hasn't schooled herself in the possibility that this could go on and on and result in nothing. Wow, the middle of the night is dark.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes knowledge can be dangerous. The more I know, the more I have to worry about. All I can advise is that you focus on breathing and staying zen. It may not always work but on the odd occasion that you find yourself in the zone, it's so much better than the anxious alternative.

Good luck today!

Anonymous said...

Dark indeed. But we'll all shine a light on you.
vee

NotesFrom2Moms said...

the middle of the day is a bit brighter.. good luck today.

Inlocoparentis said...

It is so hard for those of us who worry about everything. I can't tell you to stop worrying, I know. All I can say is to keep hoping along with the worry, because the blogs have taught me that there are definitely happy endings, too.

K said...

I'm sorry you're feeling so disheartened. The internet can be a scary place. It's frustrating when we want something so badly we can't get our minds off it for a minute and yet - assuming we've covered the basics (hardware, software, timing) - there's pretty much *nothing* we can do to make it happen any faster than it is going to on it's own. Tough stuff. Hang in there - sunnier days are ahead for you.

jessie said...

All the knowledge can be really dangerous! I find myself assuming the worst, I wonder if we think that will cushion us when we fall?

j.k-c. said...

Oh, the middle of the night is a dangerous place to be, at least if you are awake.
I hope that your appt with the RE went well and provided a sense of hope and possibility for you. Or a plan. Plans always help me feel less anxious.
I am very, very hopeful for you. It will happen for you. It really, really will.
I hope you can sleep better tonight.

Pufferfish said...

Ah, we were both up in the middle of the night together. I'd been up meditating to de-stress and try to sleep. It seemed to be working. So I got back in bed and before I could say OM, the negative thoughts were swirling around my head again.
I realized at the moment that not only was I not doing my deep breathing, I wasn't breathing at all. I'd been holding my breath.
I hope you had a good appt. today...and that the light continues to work its way into your dark.