Sunday, March 15, 2009
Adoption School
We spent all day Saturday at "adoption school." There are a lot of classes we need to take, as well as paperwork to do, and meetings with the counselor in order to complete the "homestudy process," before we'll be officially ready to adopt. Yesterday was the first of those classes. It was great. There were nine couples (no singles there, but the agency does work with single parents), two of which were gay. Two guys and us. It was totally welcoming and positive. Lots of good (and hard) presentations, discussions, issues, resources, etc. The hardest part for me was a video of birthmothers speaking about their choices. It was brutal and beautiful. Three adoptive families came to speak to us about their experiences - including a lesbo couple! They came with their son and the birth parents, who they are still in touch with (they're on the very open end of the "open adoption" continuum). We loved it, but were totally exhausted afterward. Very intense day. One of the best parts of this adoption journey is how very mutual the process has been for me and my sweetie. We're totally equally involved, whereas the TTC thing has been (necessarily) more my project in some many ways. All is well here. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
sounds like a truly amazing class. i am so excited (and a little jealous) for you. i've always wanted to adopt, i hope we can still do it someday (need to pay off some ttc debt first)...
it does sound really great! so affirming an experience to be having with your partner too... i think the focus in a ttc situation can make things hard. with dakota and i it has been so intertwined that it feels different than what most describe, so i am thankful for that at least. makes me think more about adoption though for sure...
I would love, love, love to hear more about this process as you move through it. We are beginning to think more about adoption and I would love to be able to read about your experiences. It sounds like you are working with an amazing agency.
Wow that just sounds great!! I can't wait to see where this journey takes you!
That sounds like a great and intense day. I'm so excited for you that you've found such a great agency and you're moving forward with both adoption and TTC. I'm so excited that I get to watch your journey change and unfold.
I love hearing about this side of your baby journey. You sound so hopeful and how wonderful that you both are feeling so involved. We are going to be in your neck of the woods in the middle of next week... it would be so great to see you. Send me an email if you can. xoxo L
Your posts about adoption are giving me such hope. I cannot wait to hear more.
So glad that you are finding so much happiness (and a little of yourself) in this journey.
Post a Comment