Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It only takes one

CD8. I have one 14mm follie on the right (the open side). There's one a little smaller on the left (blocked) side. Probably will keep taking F.ollistim and go back in on Friday. Waiting for a call this afternoon to confirm that. I'm only on 75 units of the F.ollistim, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for at least two follies on the right. But that's ok. I know the first cycle of injectables is as much a test/trial as anything else, to see how my body reacts. So we'll grow this one a little more, probably insem over the weekend, and see what happens. I am soooooo much calmer than I used to be. Two reasons:

1) I now have insurance coverage. So every insemination and every appointment and every decision isn't a wrenching financial choice. I'm making medical decisions, not financial ones. I'm not driving my family into (further) debt by pursuing this dream. We still have way too much on credit cards because of the six out-of-pocket failures last year and the HSN and the HSG and the sperm purchases, but at least we're not making it worse. (Note: I used to seethe with jealousy last year when I read the blogs of people with insurance coverage, so please know that I know that I am very lucky. Not as lucky as a pregnant lady, but lucky nonetheless.) 

2) We sent in our initial application and fee to the adoption agency this week. We are just going to follow both paths and see what works first. I feel so calm knowing that there will be a baby at the end of all of this. And as my sweetie said to me on Saturday, "We're starting adoption and we're shooting F.ollistim. We are doing absolutely everything we can do at this point. There is no stone unturned. Except, of course, kidnapping." This last comment was said with a side-long and knowing glance. Totally busted. She totally knows that I have kidnapping fantasies!!

So, I'm a great deal calmer about all of this. Something will work. Something will work. Something will work. Not that a BFN after a 2WW won't hurt like hell, but I definitely feel better than I used to. 

Ok, true confessions. I'm not all 100% zen. There has to be something to worry about. When they drew blood this morning, they also drew a vial for H.epatitis, just a standard procedure at this new clinic. But I vividly and painfully remember Cali's false positive debacle in the Fall of '07. And since I've been vaccinated against Hep A and B (because I do a lot of work in developing countries), I'm semi-terrified that there will be little Hep thingees (yes, that is the scientific term) swimming around in my blood that will give a false positive. Gotta have a little drama. How could I get through my day without a little worry?? But I'm better than I used to be.

11 comments:

N said...

SOMETHING will work. *SQUISHES*

tbean said...

bold and brave to pursue both options head-on
I hope your baby finds you soon

nutella said...

Something will bring you your baby. Very very soon, I'm hoping.

Jen said...

I am still finding it amazing how different bodies react differently to the same meds. Hold on tight to your wonderful follicle, I would give anything right now for *one* in mid cycle... Follistim has fudged up my body and I obviously an not in a good place...sorry. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know a single person who is 100% zen. I hope, and trust, that the blood test will come back negative. It really does only take one. (I had one follicle who grew slowly but now is Sprout. One is good.) Do you know if your RE is going to increase your dose at somepoint? I remember mine was increased to 112.5 at somepoint. It must feel amazing to be going forward on the adoption front too. Your baby is on the way someway or anouther. xoxo L.

Merr said...

YOu know I really am excited for you guys. Whether you get a baby through adoption or through your womb, I can't wait to see you be a mother!!!

Inlocoparentis said...

Go, follie, go!! I had similar Hep A/B vaccine worries (I worked in Africa in law school) but the test came back fine.

Dresden said...

dude- #1 & #2 are KICK ASS AWESOME!!!

And seriously- do NOT fret about the hep c thing. It is SO rare to get a false + and just consider my chaos as the ticket puncher for our corner of the blogosphere.

Thinking of you!
xo

Anonymous said...

i dont think 100% zen exists. sounds like you are doing a damn fine job of staying as relaxed as possible though!

hope that follie looks nice and plump on friday!

Sarah said...

This is all really exciting news! Good luck on Monday/Tuesday and with the adoption application! Thinking of you guys!

Anonymous said...

Something is going to work, no doubt about it.