* Watched hours of the live streaming oral arguments from California yesterday. Wound up pretty depressed. I thought our side's rebuttal lawyers were pretty good (Therese Stewart kicked ass), but I thought our main guy (was he from the AG's office?) was actually semi-weak. And why the fuck was Ken Scarr so affable and smooth and articulate and at ease with himself? I was seriously surprised. I figured he'd be spitting blood and sprouting horns. I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. And I don't live in California and am not familiar with its state constitution AT ALL. But, seriously, did these guys study civics the same way I did? Of course the people aren't 100% sovereign. They never are. Not even in freakin' "democratic" elections. Or else Mr. Al Popular Vote Gore would have won in 2000. There are almost no instances in this country when a simple majority of the people can make huge, fundamental, sweeping changes, certainly not like revoking human rights or civil rights. That's why we have checks and balances, for goddsake. If it was a simple majority, Blacks and women wouldn't have gotten rights when they did. Those things were unpopular - but right - when they were enacted. My god. The purpose of a democracy, Mr. Scarr, is not to let the majority run hog wild and stampede the minority. A democracy is a system in which the majority rules, but the rights of the minority are safeguarded. For crying in the bucket. Bastards. Ahistorical (unhistorical?) bastards. Look at the times through history when discrimination has reigned, times and crimes that we now consider travesties, major abuses of human rights. It was always an unfettered majority stampeding the protections of other groups. That's why we HAVE constitutions, to PROTECT the speech and rights of the minority. Argh. It put me in such a bad mood. I was seething. As an antidote, I had to eat ice cream and watch hours and hours of Rachel Maddow on YouTube. (How awesome was she on The View?)
* We finally have some spring weather around here. Makes such a difference. Hope everyone has a good weekend!!

5 comments:
yeah, i don't understand why it's so hard to grasp the concept that the judicary is there to protect the rights of minorities. that's the reason for our entire three-branched governmental structure. so frustrating.
keep us posted on the iui date, i need to know when to cross my fingers! :D
We've had warm weather all week and it turns me into a different, much happier person. Yay spring! (Of course, we're supposed to get snow tomorrow, but I'm not focusing on that...)
I watched the appeal as well and found the complete thing annoying. I am no lawyer, but I agree, minorities would never have been given any rights if it were up to the majority. Hello Civil Rights movement? Anyway, good luck with ms.follicle and let us know when the IUI is planned. Are you triggering on Sat night for a Mon IUI? If it is at 18, it may be perfect timing for 21-22 sizer. Good luck my friend.
Sounds like the timing will be spot on. Follies can get really big. I've had several between 30-40 before ovulating...so don't worry about it getting too huge. Not that my experience is that predictive since it obviously hasn't led to any bfps. Ah well...just wanted to wish you a happy weekend!
This case will be decided on the briefs, not the arguments. Don't get distracted by KS' pomp and circumstance - we have the better legal arguments. At least in my humble opinion. :) Crossing fingers for you this month . . .
Post a Comment