Friday, March 20, 2009
Opinion8ed
So, this morning I was at the gym (seriously!) and I watched an episode of W.est W.ing on T.L.C. while I was on the treadmill. It had been years since I'd seen my friends at the Wing. That was very fun. But that is not my point. That network, which I usually avoid like the plague because of the torture and pain that is A Ba.by St.ory, was running a commercial for a new show. A new show about a family with two sets of twins and a set of sextuplets. Add that to Jon and Kate (which I've only seen once but thought was pretty hideous), and that crazy family from Texas or somewhere with 18 kids that came one at a time. That is some serious fetish-izing of large families, families with multiples. These people get free cars, new homes, advertising dollars, etc. It got me to thinking about the way the octo-mom was widely reviled .... Now, I personally think that octo-mom must be crazy. From the (admittedly very little) that I read about her, it does sound like she has some issues, probably economic and perhaps psychological as well. And her doctor has questionable (at best) ethics. And I'm not a fan of her decision to have eight when she already had so many at home. And I'm definitely not a fan of the anti-fertility treatment backlash that she sparked. However, I don't have a clue about her fitness as a parent, any more than I do about Jon and Kate, or the D.uggars. But I can see that there is public revulsion at the single mom with limited means, while huge TV deals are being thrown at straight couples who have made similarly wacky decisions. All these mega-families with multiples rely on family, friends, church, whatever to help them, none of them could do it alone, and then they get their entire parenthood financially sponsored by a TV network. And yet octo-mom is the object of scorn. I'm just saying, despite her faults, which are probably many, I'm thinking a portion of people's disgust with her has to do with the fact that she isn't partnered with a man. And that pisses me off. We can make you a commodity and sell you to audiences everywhere if you are a straight couple, but a single woman gets raked over the coals. It's just so clear that the horror of octo-mom wasn't about having 8 kids. If she'd been married, they just would have given her a TV show. It was really about her much larger sin, that of not coupling in the socially acceptable way. Argh! (Sorry if this debate has already been covered ad nauseam elsewhere. I'm just a wee bit behind the curve when it comes to pop culture. Anyway. You can return now to your regular programming.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
you can totally see why octomom went the PR route and was hoping for a public career off this latest birth. there is indeed precedent for it, and the world seems to suck it in like the jerry springer show. all that said, i think you are right that a lot of the stigma comes from her being single (and kind of nuts) can't make good family programing off that! i do think that people have been particularly cruel.
Great point. She has been offered a movie deal. Granted its a porno. Could you imagine them offering something like that to Kate or whoever that mom of 18 is? It would never happen. Who would ever want to watch it?
p.s. I'm sending good thoughts your way - you know, just in case you decide to test again this weekend
I think her being single plays a ton into her being demonized. I think the other big factor is that she is poor. I sometimes can't believe how much other people care about how others live their lives. Of course, I watched the dateline special so who am I to judge. xoxo L
I've been really avoiding this story because of the anti-fertility treatment backlash. I didn't stop to consider how the reaction toher was different then for the other moms with upteen children who are married to men. Great point-thanks for this.
All of those TLC shows make me queasy. I've managed to avoid all but a couple of episodes of J&K. Hopefully I can miss the new show altogether! You are completely right about the double-standard. Society is so judgmental.
Post a Comment