She told me that they only try to grow one or two follicles on the injectables for IUI cycles. If/when they get up to three or four, they would consider canceling. So she would have been really happy with two, but was totally ok with my one follicle. So I'll just be happy about my single, solitary follie. (Somehow I'd thought that the point of injectables was to grow a bunch of follicles and have tons of targets for those defrosted sperm.) I asked her if my response to 75 units of F.ollistim was a predictor of how I would do on IVF drugs, and she said absolutely not. Everyone reacts differently to the different combinations. I don't know if the timing was good or not. I actually thought I felt ovulation last night, about 12 hours before insem. But who knows ....
The only downer was the sperm count. This is a new donor. The total count was only 9.5 million. My bank guarantees 10 million. So I'm thinking of going back to them for a refund. Have any of you ever done that? I know 9.5 isn't that far below the minimum, but still. If I can get something back from that money pit in California, why not? Neither of my previous places, the feminist health center or the fertility clinic, ever told us the counts before so we had no way of knowing if we were working with good vials or not. This is the first time I've been told the count. Nurse Not Bossy was totally ok with it, said it looked fine, about what could be expected of frozen, but still .... The most interesting thing to me was my non-reaction to the low number. I think in the past, when I had so much hope invested in each IUI, a low count would have seriously bummed me out. Provoked tears and frustration. But because of the insurance, I don't have as much money invested this time. And more importantly, because of a shift in my mentality, I don't have as many emotions invested in each individual follicle or each IUI. I think, at some point during my break of the last few months, I decided that I was not an IUI girl. I just don't think that sperm and egg are going to meet inside my body. Now, I'd love to be wrong. Would be happy to have to take that back, be proven wrong, eat my words, whatever. But I just feel like I am an IVF girl. And right now I have to put in a few injectables cycles on the insurance before qualifying for IVF. So I kind of feel like I'm just putting in my time. I believe deep down that it is going to be IVF or adoption for us. So the low sperm count didn't really freak me out. And, truthfully, it's just below the minimum, I guess it's not terrible.
Anyway, all is well here. And I'm in my first 2ww since October. Holy cow.

14 comments:
glad the iui went well! wishing you lots of luck!
9.5mil sounds like a good number to me, my clinic was happy with anything over 5mil. i tried to get my $$ back a couple of times (from fairfax) when the counts were in the 1.5-3mil range and was unsuccessful. there is a lot of fine print attached to their warranty (we stored at the clinic, so that voided the warranty; we switched uteruses/patients, so that voided the warranty...). i hope you can be more successful though, it's worth a try!
so very excited for you... glad it went smooth and painlessly too! i tend to think that those months where the cervix is right there for the grabbing are the months that are timed the best. cervix is low are more open to allow the sperm in...
I hope you receive that BFP this time around... Have faith :)
I'm glad the IUI went so well. Here's hoping for good cycles for everybody.
I'm glad it went well and will join you in hoping for good good things!
Should this cycle not work out (which it will, right?), you can pursue a refund request with the bank. With my bank (Fairfax) As long as the specimen hasn't been out of their bank for more than 60 days, was only handled by the clinic they shipped it to, you may have a case. Your doctor would have to write a letter stating that the sperm counts caused a failed cycle too... so there are certainly some hoops to jump through. But if they tell you they guarantee 10, the guarantee has to be good for something.
But this won't matter, because this will work!
woop! woop! glad the IUI went off without a hitch. Now hunker down and think happy BFP vibes.
Yay!
I have heard of people getting a refund on low counts so I would check into it!
fingers crossed!
Yay for a good insem! Regarding the sperm count, I say try to get a refund even if the count is close and even if you feel ok about the sperm. The banks aren't doing you any favors, you might as well try to get the most back from them.
9.5M is a pretty good number, I wouldnt be too down on that. i heard CCB is pretty good about refunds if that's who you used. we used to use fairfax, and the counts were always 4-5m. CCB is pretty solid. so far the vials I've purchased had 10M-13M.
9.5M is good, seriously!
Reading your recent posts, i feel like im looking in a mirror. you really take the words right out of my mouth sometimes. :) we experience a lot of the same things (i.e. i only had one follicle on 150iu menopur), we have some of the same joys, sorrows, etc.
i am rooting for you! So today is 1DPO or 0DPO? Today is 4DPO for me. here's to good luck for both of us!
FINGERS CROSSED here too. xxxx
best of luck on the iui! don't stress about the 9.5 mil, that's pretty darn close to the optimal amount. when i had my 2nd iui last year, we had just switched donors and started using fairfax bank. we only had one sample shipped, so when the doc came in and said there were less than 5 mil sperm, i felt pretty devastated in the moment. then just really really pissed. so, fairfax offered to send another of that donor's sample for free- oops, except he was fresh out of samples, how convenient for them! so, they refunded us something like $175 since they said "we did use the sample". god, like we would skip the cycle after i was already there, pants off, and having had no wine all month!!! i was pretty frustrated, but we did get a bit of money back. and maybe you could get a free sample for the next go (if you need it) so long as your donor is still available. it's worth a shot! AND good luck this month!
I am so happy the insemination went well. I felt good always when my cervix was open at the insemination. I am ready for 9.5 million not to be a factor at all and for their to be no need for a refund because you are pregnant in two weeks. I hope the wait goes really fast. xoxoxo L.
I wonder how many times in human human history someone said "she maneuvered through my inner os like a rock star." That is awesome! I am so glad it went well and that you are feeling better. Fingers crossed for the TWW!
Post a Comment