Friday, March 27, 2009

Good days

There are also good days. And it is wise to document them. Yesterday, there were three (3!!) good things. 

1. I got to hang out with the Babypants ladies, who are visiting in my town, who are just so awesome, and we had a great coffee and conversation, and a great stroll around my neighborhood in the beautiful spring weather. 2. And my sweetie and I got to babysit Sunshine, who is so big-eyed beautiful, observant, taking-it-all-in, calm, sweet personality, and all-around dreamy. 3. And my accountant called me. (Yes, I have an accountant. For me, it's in the same category as moving guys. Once I hired someone to move me, there was no going back. I'll still pack myself, but I won't ever, ever move myself again. And once I hired an accountant, and he did my taxes with zero tears, and got more money back for me than I ever could have figured out myself, there was no going back. I will never do my own taxes again. But I digress.) My accountant called me and I am getting a very large refund. Yay! This is due in part to my obsessive receipt-keeping related to sperm, OPKs, pregnancy tests, doctor visits, IUIs, the HSG, the HSN, progesterone, and C.lomid, and even parking fees for parking at the doctor's office, and the mileage to and from my far-away-in-the-'burbs former RE, and six months of acupuncture, and everything that was possibly, probably, conceivably a legal medical expense in 2008, the Year Of No Infertility Coverage. When I totaled it all up, it was shocking and terrifying, and was cause for some serious soul-searching here, chez Two Chicks. And it certainly explains the groaning credit card. But at least I'm getting a major refund. Thank god. (Despite the refund, all that money and no closer to baby is really brutal, but I'm not going there right now. Because this post is about good days.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does sound like a lovely day. Here's hoping for many more :)

mulberry said...

yay for good days!

Jen said...

That is awesome! I too use an accountant, and will never go back. So I completely understand. Yay for record keeping though, it paid off in our case as well and I applied our refunds to our massive cc debt from fertility. Feels SO good to get back some of that money!!!

Melissa said...

Yay! I also second your statement about the accountant and never going back.

Anonymous said...

horay for good days! we saved all of our fertility expenses for '08 too and it really paid off. kinda made me want to puke when i saw the total, but the refund sure was nice :)

hope your weekend holds more good things in store!

Heidi said...

The good days that show up here and there are so much sweeter now that we know what the bad days are like.

Anonymous said...

Same here with the moving guys and the accountant, though I've sworn to never, ever move again!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for good things! We're the same way about movers - there's no way I could move myself again. Those movers are just so fit and swift, it's a pity not to let them shine.

K said...

Oh, how I love that fertility treatment tax refund. :-) Granted, it's a silver lining at best but it's so satisfying to see that chunk of money back in our hands.

My only experience with movers was awful (transit took several days longer than expected and they charged me twice the original quote) but I may have to give an accountant a try next year. Seems like you're not the only fan!

Anonymous said...

It was a really good day for us too. Thank you for our blanket or really sprout's blanket, the really good conversation and sharing of coffee. I have been debating an accountant... I think it is not possible this year but I think I should do it next. I completely agree about movers. completely. xoxo L

Carrie said...

wow thats amazing! we will probably need to itemize medical expenses this year, if we go to IVF. also, since my fertility lifetime max ends in another month.

So can you really deduct the cost of sperm? for real?? wow, i just spent like $4,000 on sperm, so that would be great news!

ps - yay for good days!