Thursday, April 3, 2008

Smiley Surge !!!

No surge at 8pm last night. Definitely strong surge and smiley at 9:45 am this morning (held pee for almost 4 hours from 6am wake up pee, which I didn't test and now wish I had). First off, I am thrilled that there is a smiley after last month's no-go. Second off, I am thrilled that this smiley came today, because I have to travel for work tomorrow (Friday) mid-morning and will be gone until late Saturday night. The bad timing I feared would have been a surge tomorrow morning, just before I got on the plane. So, thank you, thank you to my body for cooperating. (Is that "thank me" in that case?)

My clinic does 2 IUIs per cycle. We are considering dropping this to 1 per cycle in following months (if following months are necessary, hopefully they're not, but I'm not naive) based on cost and on advice from IVPers online, etc. The clinic would accommodate us if that was our choice. But for this month I already have two vials sitting on ice. They've been waiting for me since last month's anovulatory debacle. So we should do two, right?

In February we did our IUIs at like 6 and 26 hours past surge. We were thinking the first one was probably too early and maybe wasted. So we were thinking that we'd switch to 24 and 36 hours post surge (i.e. do two tomorrow, one in the morning and one in the evening). Because I travel tomorrow, however, we're going to have to do one tonight and one tomorrow morning before I get on the plane. So I need to call the clinic ASAP, but I'm thinking it'll be this evening and tomorrow morning. I guess one other option would be to just do one vial tomorrow morning. And hold the second vial for next month. But they're both already here in town & I'll have to pay to refill the dry ice or liquid nitrogen or whatever is in those tanks .... Thoughts???

(How funny is it that my reaction to the smiley was 1. call my sweetie, 2. post this to you, and only after that, 3. call my clinic?)

But who am I kidding? I'm going to use both vials. They've already been paid for, and they've been shipped, and they're here, WAITING for me to make a baby. I'll use them. I know I will. (I'm the kind of person who can't buy Girl S.cout cookies, because once I buy them and they are in the house, I eat them all in a sitting. Not good at holding back.)

10 comments:

N said...

HURRAH!!!

You deserve this O after being so patient last cycle. :D

Even before you said you'd use them both, I was going to suggest that anyway. If only for the mental boost of getting them used and not having to pay storage for an extra month.

Fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I'm with you on the double dose. Good luck hun!

Melissa said...

I say go for 2 too!

tbean said...

Yay for surging! Yay for two vials! Phew on the timing working out!

PS--Your conversation with the cashier cracked me up. I always imagine cashiers talking to me when I buy OPK's or HPT's. They never do though. Probably an east coast thing :) We aren't friendly over here! :)
Good luck tonight!

Anonymous said...

Girl Scout cookies are delish!

Congrats on the smiley and good luck!!

jessie said...

double the fun! :)

Merr said...

YAY! Woo Hoo! Use them both. Might as well.
Just polished off a box of samoas myself today! Damn!

Jen said...

Your clinic doesn't have a cryotank of their own? I think I know which clinic it is, so that doesn't TOTALLY surprise me, but most clinics have their own long term cryostorage and can put your vials in there to keep until next cycle, next year, or whenever. You do have to pay for storage, but it's usually $50 or less per quarter. We tended to buy several months' worth at a time because paying shipping once and storage for a few months was much cheaper than shipping every month. Just something to consider. It's probably too late, but if they DO have a storage facility, I'd do one IUI at your preferred time (the 24 hour one, right?) and save the other.

Jen said...

Oh, and you can store many vials for the same fee - it's not $50 per vial - it's $50 for the privilege to store. So you could add more next month if you want.

Lizzie said...

Thx, Jen. I actually just posted a longer comment on your blog, in response to your first comment. I can't actually store lots at my clinic (they don't have the facility). But for example, last month, when I didn't ovulate, they just kept my vials and sent back the tank, and managed to store my vials in other tanks that they seem to have always revolving through there ... and didn't charge me at all, unless it was necessary to get a medical supply company to come out and refill the nitrogen (or whatever it is), which actually didn't happen last month, but could if I continued to have them hold one. Then I have to pay the medical supply company.